Now coming to the original question, why is a man allowed to have more than one wife?
2. The Qur'an is the only religious scripture in the world that says,"marry only one".
3. Hindus are more polygynous than Muslims
4. Qur'an permits limited polygyny
5. Average life span of females is more than that of males
6. India has more male population than female due to female foeticide and infanticide
7. World female population is more than male population
8. Restricting each and every man to have only one wife is not practical
1. If a man has more than one wife, the parents of the children born of such marriages can easily be identified. The father as well as the mother can easily be identified. In case of a woman marrying more than one husband, only the mother of the children born of such marriages will be identified and not the father. Islam gives tremendous importance to the identification of both parents, mother and father. Psychologists tell us that children who do not know their parents, especially their father undergo severe mental trauma and disturbances. Often they have an unhappy childhood. It is for this reason that the children of prostitutes do not have a healthy childhood. If a child born of such wedlock is admitted in school, and when the mother is asked the name of the father, she would have to give two or more names! I am aware that recent advances in science have made it possible for both the mother and father to be identified with the help of genetic testing. Thus this point which was applicable for the past may not be applicable for the present.
2. Man is more polygamous by nature as compared to a woman.
3. Biologically, it is easier for a man to perform his duties as a husband despite having several wives. A woman, in a similar position, having several husbands, will not find it possible to perform her duties as a wife. A woman undergoes several psychological and behavioral changes due to different phases of the menstrual cycle.
4. A woman who has more than one husband will have several sexual partners at the same time and has a high chance of acquiring venereal or sexually transmitted diseases which can also be transmitted back to her husband even if all of them have no extra-marital sex. This is not the case in a man having more than one wife, and none of them having extra-marital sex.
The above reasons are those that one can easily identify. There are probably many more reasons why Allah, in His Infinite Wisdom, has prohibited polyandry.
1. In the past women were degraded and used as objects of lust
The women were degraded and were denied all rights under the Babylonian law. If a man murdered a woman, instead of him being punished, his wife was put to death.
Greek Civilization is considered the most glorious of all ancient civilizations. Under this very 'glorious' system, women were deprived of all rights and were looked down upon. In Greek mythology, an 'imaginary woman' called 'Pandora' is the root cause of misfortune of human beings. The Greeks considered women to be subhuman and inferior to men. Though chastity of women was precious, and women were held in high esteem, the Greeks were later overwhelmed by ego and sexual perversions. Prostitution became a regular practice amongst all classes of Greek society.
When Roman Civilization was at the zenith of its 'glory', a man even had the right to take the life of his wife. Prostitution and nudity were common amongst the Romans.
The Egyptian considered women evil and as a sign of a devil.
Before Islam spread in Arabia, the Arabs looked down upon women and very often when a female child was born, she was buried alive.
2. Islam uplifted women and gave them equality and expects them to maintain their status.
3. Six criteria for Hijaab.
The first criterion is the extent of the body that should be covered. This is different for men and women. The extent of covering obligatory on the male is to cover the body at least from the navel to the knees. For women, the extent of covering obligatory is to cover the complete body except the face and the hands upto the wrist. If they wish to, they can cover even these parts of the body. Some scholars of Islam insist that the face and the hands are part of the obligatory extent of 'hijaab'.
4. Hijaab includes conduct and behaviour among other things
5. Hijaab prevents molestation
6. Example of twin sisters
7. Capital punishment for the rapists
8. Western society falsely claims to have uplifted women
9. USA has one of the highest rates of rape
10. Implementation of Islamic Shariah will reduce the rate of rapes
1. Islam means peace.
2. Sometimes force has to be used to maintain peace.
3. Opinion of historian De Lacy O'Leary.
4. Muslims ruled Spain for 800 years.
5. 14 million Arabs are Coptic Christians.
6. More than 80% non-Muslims in India.
7. Indonesia and Malaysia.
8. East Coast of Africa.
9. Thomas Carlyle.
10. No compulsion in religion.
Truth stands out clear from error"
11. Sword of the Intellect.
with wisdom and beautiful preaching;
and argue with them in ways that are
best and most gracious."
12. Increase in the world religions from 1934 to 1984.
13. Islam is the fastest growing religion in America and Europe.
14. Dr. Joseph Adam Pearson.
1. Definition of the word 'fundamentalist'
2. Not all 'fundamentalists' are the same
3. I am proud to be a Muslim fundamentalist
4. Dictionary meaning of the word 'fundamentalist'
5. Every Muslim should be a terrorist
6. Different labels given to the same individual for the same action, i.e. 'terrorist' and 'patriot'
7. Islam means peace
1. A Muslim can be a pure vegetarian
2. Qur'an permits Muslims to have non-vegetarian food
3. Meat is nutritious and rich in complete protein
4. Humans have Omnivorous set of teeth
5. Human beings can digest both vegetarian and non-vegetarian food
6. Hindu scriptures give permission to have non-vegetarian food
"The eater who eats the flesh of those to be eaten does nothing bad, even if he does it day after day, for God himself created some to be eaten and some to be eater."
"Eating meat is right for the sacrifice, this is traditionally known as a rule of the gods."
"God himself created sacrificial animals for sacrifice, ...., therefore killing in a sacrifice is not killing."
7. Hinduism was influenced by other religions
8. Even plants have life
9. Even plants can feel pain
10. Killing a living creature with two senses less is not a lesser crime
11. Over population of cattle
12. Cost of meat is reasonable since all aren't non-vegetarians
1. Islamic method of slaughtering animal
1. Only eating of herbivorous animals allowed
2. The Qur'an says Prophet prohibits what is bad
[Al-Qur'an 7: 157]
[Al-Qur'an 59: 7]
3. Hadith of Mohammad (pbuh) prohibiting eating of carnivorous animals
1. Islam believes in fostering unity
2. Kaaba is at the Centre of the World Map
3. Tawaaf around Kaaba for indicating one God
4. Hadith of Umar (may Allah be pleased with him)
5. People stood on Kaaba and gave the adhaan
At the time of the Prophet, people even stood on the Kaaba and gave the 'adhaan' or the call to prayer. One may ask those who allege that Muslims worship the Kaaba; which idol worshipper stands on the idol he worships?
1. All citizens are not permitted in the cantonment area
I am a citizen of India. Yet, I am not permitted to enter certain restricted areas like the cantonment. In every country there are certain areas where a common citizen of that country cannot enter. Only a citizen who is enrolled in the military or those who are connected with the defence of the country are allowed in the cantonment area. Similarly Islam is a Universal Religion for the entire world and for all human beings. The cantonment areas of Islam are the two holy cites of Makkah and Madinah. Here only those who believe in Islam and are involved in the defence of Islam i.e. the Muslims are allowed.
2. Visa to enter Makkah and Madinah
1. Pork prohibited in Qur'an
2. Pork prohibited in the Bible
3. Consumption of pork causes several diseases
4. Pork has fat building material
5. Pig is one of the filthiest animals on earth
6. Pig is the most shameless animal
1. Prohibition of alcohol in the Qur'an
Intoxicants and Gambling,
(Dedication of) stones,
And (divination by) arrows,
Are an Abomination –
Of Satan's handiwork;
Eschew such (abomination),
That ye may prosper."
2. Prohibition of alcohol in the Bible
3. Alcohol inhibits the inhibitory centre
The human beings possess an inhibitory centre in their brains. This inhibitory centre prevents the person from doing things that he considers wrong. For instance a person does not normally use abusive language while addressing his parents or elders. If he has to answer the call of nature, his inhibitory centre will prevent him from doing so in public. Therefore he uses the toilet.
4. Cases of adultery, rape, incest and AIDS are found more among alcoholics
According to National Crime Victimization Survey Bureau of Justice (U.S. Department of Justice) in the year 1996 alone everyday on an average 2,713 rapes took place. The statistics tell us that the majority of the rapists, were intoxicated while committing the crime. The same is true in cases of molestation.
5. Every alcoholic was initially a social drinker
Many may argue in favour of liquor by calling themselves 'social drinkers'. They claim that they only have one or two pegs and they have self-control and so never get intoxicated. Investigations reveal that every alcoholic started as a social drinker. Not a single alcoholic or drunkard initially starts drinking with the intention of becoming an alcoholic or a drunkard. No social drinker can say that I have been having alcohol for several years and that I have so much self-control that I have never been intoxicated even a single time.
6. If a person is intoxicated just once and commits something shameful, it will remain with him for a lifetime.
Suppose a 'social drinker' loses his self-control just once. In a state of intoxication he commits rape or incest. Even if the act is later regretted, a normal human being is likely to carry the guilt throughout his life. Both the perpetrator and the victim are irreparably and irreversibly damaged.
7. Alcohol is prohibited in the Hadith
The Prophet of Islam Muhammad (peace be upon him) said:
"Alcohol is the mother of all evils and it is the most shameful of evils."
"Anything which intoxicates in a large quantity, is prohibited even in a small quantity."
8. Diseases associated with alcoholism
There are several scientific reasons for the prohibition of consumption of intoxicants i.e. alcohol. The maximum number of deaths in the world related to any one particular cause is due to the consumption of alcohol. Millions of people die every year only because of intake of alcohol. I need not go into the details of all the ill-effects of alcohol since most of them are commonly known. Below is a simple list of few of the alcohol related illnesses:
9. Alcoholism is a 'disease'
Medical doctors have now turned liberal towards alcoholics and call alcoholism a disease rather than an addiction.
When ye deal with each other,
in transactions involving future obligation
in a fixed period of time
reduce them to writing and get two witnesses
out of your own men and if there are not two men,
then a man and two women, such as ye choose,
for witnesses so that if one of them errs
the other can remind her."
When death approaches any of you,
(take) witnesses among yourself when making bequests."
or other from outside if you are journeying
through the earth and the chance of death befalls you."
"Four witnesses are required
in case of charge against chaste women,
against their spouses, and have (in support)
no evidence but their own -
their solitary evidence can be received."
1. Belief in the hereafter is not based on blind faith?
2. Hereafter a logical belief
3. Concept of peace and human values is useless without the concept of hereafter
In the least degree"
And life that He
May try which of you
Is best in deed;
And He is the Exalted
In Might, Oft-Forgiving"
A taste of death:
And only on the Day
Of Judgement shall you
Be paid your full recompense.
Only he who is saved
Far from the Fire
And admitted to the Garden
Will have attained
The object (of life):
For the life of this world
Is but goods and chattels
Our signs, We shall soon
Cast into the Fire;
As often as their skins
Are roasted through,
We shall change them
For fresh skins,
That they may taste
The penalty: for Allah
Is Exalted in Power, Wise"
1. Muslims Should be United
All together, by the rope
Which Allah (stretches out for you),
and be not divided among yourselves;"
2. It is Prohibited to make sects and divisions in Islam
Their religion and break up
Into sects, thou hast
No part in them in the least:
Their affair is with Allah:
He will in the end
Tell them the truth
Of all that they did."
3. Our Prophet was a Muslim
4. Qur'an says call yourselves Muslim
"Who is better in speech
Than one who calls (men)
To Allah, works righteousness,
And says, 'I am of those
Who bow in Islam (Muslim)?' "
The Qur'an says "Say I am of those who bow in Islam". In other words, say, "I am a Muslim".
Say ye: "Bear witness
That we (at least)
Are Muslims (bowing
To Allah's Will)."
5. Respect all the Great Scholars of Islam
1. Major difference between Islam and most other religions
2. Example - Islam commands us to shun robbery and also prescribes method ofeleminating robbery
All major religions teach that theft is an evil act. Islam teaches the same. So what is the difference between Islam and the other religions? The difference lies in the fact that Islam, besides teaching that robbing is evil, shows a practical way of creating a social structure in which people will not rob.
Islam prescribes a system of Zakaat (obligatory annual charity). Islamic law prescribes that every person who has a saving that exceeds the nisaab level i.e. more than 85 grams of gold, should give 2.5% of that saving every lunar year in charity. If every rich person in the world gave Zakaat sincerely, poverty will be eradicated from this world. Not a single human being would die of hunger.
Islam prescribes chopping off the hands of the convicted robber. The Glorious Qur'ansays in Surah Maidah:
"As to the thief, male or female, cut off his or her hands:a punishment by way
of example, from Allah, for their crime: and Allah is Exalted in power, full of wisdom."
[ Al-Qur'an 5:38]
The non-Muslim may say, "Chopping off the hands in this 20th century. Islam is a barbaric and ruthless religion!"
America is supposed to be one of the most advanced countries in the world. Unfortunately it also has one of the highest rates of crime, theft, and robbery. Suppose the Islamic shariah is implemented in America i.e. every rich person givesZakaat ( 2.5% of his savings in charity above 85 grams of gold every lunar year), and every convicted robber has his or her hands chopped off as a punishment. Will the rate of theft and robbery in America increase, remain same or decrease? Naturally it will decrease. Moreover the existence of such a stringent law would discourage many a potential robber.
3. Example: Islam prohibits the molestation and rape of women. It enjoins hijaaband prescribes capital punishment for a convicted rapist.
All the major religions declare the molestation and rape of women as grave sins. Islam teaches the same. What then is the difference between Islam and the other religions? The difference lies in the fact that Islam does not merely preach respect for women, or abhor molestation and rape as serious crimes, but also gives clear guidance as to how society can eliminate such crimes.
Islam has a system of hijaab. The Glorious Qur'an first mentions hijaab for the men and then for the women. Hijaab for the men is mentioned in the following verse:
Hijaab for women is mentioned in the following verse:
The reason why Allah has prescribed Hijaab for the women is given in the Qur'an in the folowing verse of Surah Al-Ahzab:
Suppose two sisters who are twins and who are equally beautiful, walk down a street. One of them is wearing the Islamic Hijaab i.e. the complete body is covered except for the face and the hands up to the wrists, and the other twin is wearing a mini skirt or shorts. Around the corner there is a hooligan who is waiting for an opportunity to tease a girl. Who will he tease? The girl wearing the Islamic Hijaab or the girl wearing the mini skirt or shorts? Dresses that expose more than they conceal, are an indirect temptation to the opposite sex for teasing, molestation and rape. The Qur'an rightly says that the hijaab prevents women from being molested.
The Islamic shariah prescribes capital punishment for a convicted rapist. The non-Muslim may be horrified at such a stringent punishment in this age. Many accuse Islam of being ruthless and barbaric. I have asked a common question to hundreds of non-Muslim men. Suppose God-forbid, some one rapes your wife, your mother or your sister and you are made the judge. The rapist is brought in front of you. What punishment would you give him? All of them said, "we would put him to death." Some went to the extent of saying, "we would torture him to death", If your wife or your mother is raped you want the rapist to be put to death. But if someone else's wife or mother is raped, capital punishment is a barbaric law. Why the double standards?
The United States of America is supposed to be one of the most advanced countries of the world. An F.B.I report in the year 1990 says that 1,02,555 cases of rape were reported. It further says that only 16% of the cases of rapes are reported. Thus, in order to know the actual number of rapes that took place in 1990, the reported figure should be multiplied by 6.25. We get a total of 6,40,968 rape cases that took place in the year 1990. If the total is divided by 365 the number of days in a year, we get an average of 1,756 rape incidents everyday.
Suppose the Islamic shariah is implemented in America. Whenever a man looks at a woman and if any brazen or unashamed thought comes to his mind, he lowers his gaze. Every woman wears the Islamic Hijaab, that is the complete body is covered except the face and the hands upto the wrists. After this if any man commits rape, he gets capital punishment. The question is, will the rate of rape in America increase, will it remain the same or will it decrease? Naturally it will decrease. Islamic Shariahgets results.
4. Islam has Practical Solutions for the Problems of Mankind
1. Media maligns Islam
2. Black sheep in every community:
3. Muslims best as a whole:
4. Don't judge a car by its driver:
5. Judge Islam by its best follower i.e. Prophet Mohammed (pbuh):
'Kafir' means one who rejects.
If non-Muslims are hurt - they should accept Islam.